[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 488: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/bbcode.php on line 112: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is no longer supported, use preg_replace_callback instead
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4762: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4764: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4765: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4766: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3897)
Pond Software • View topic - Making a real Hibernated disk from the .d64

Making a real Hibernated disk from the .d64

A lovely machine!

Making a real Hibernated disk from the .d64

Postby robsoft » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:44

Hi folks - first up, I"m pretty inexperienced with all the C64 stuff so sorry if this is a dumb question.

I've bought Hibernated, and the .D64 runs fine in my emulator. I've copied the .D64 onto an SD card, and using my SD2IEC I can run that file just fine on my real C64.

I'd like to try and make a real floppy disk for it (I have a 1541-II). I have the real drive set up as device 9, the SD2IEC is device 8, etc etc. I can copy files from one to the other without any problems using the DRA Copy program, I've done this before. All good.

However, I can't seem to copy the files on the Hibernated disk. DRA Copy seems to have trouble reading the directory of the 'opened' .D64 from the SD card, and if I set it up and do a 'disk copy' (which seems to copy all of the sectors of the disk etc), then the resultant floppy *does* start up running Hibernated, but it's not working (or I'm being dumb) - you don't see the highlighted 'Press space to begin' type text after the opening quote, and although the adventure does then start up and show you the first location, typing anything gets a kind of 'blank response'... it's odd, but the point is it's not working.

I'm presuming there's some kind of copy protection, and if that's the case then it's fine, I understand the point of that and I'll leave it there.

But if there is some way of my making a genuine floppy copy of this, I'd love to do it. I'm pretty sure it's nothing wrong with the floppies I'm using (I've tried a couple) or the image on the SD card (because it runs fine via SD2IEC).

Many thanks, and sorry if this is the kind of thing that is obvious to almost everyone else!

--
Rob
robsoft
Tadpole

Re: Making a real Hibernated disk from the .d64

Postby 8bit_era » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:29

8bit_era
POND game dev

Postby robsoft » Mon Jul 23, 2018 7:14

Hey @8bit_era (Stefan?), thanks for the quick reply.

I did get it on itch.io, and I made a small donation. Thanks!

The first time around, I did switch the external physical disk back to being a device 8, and removed the SD2IEC, and the directory contents of the physical floppy appeared to be ok (from looking at it at the command prompt/interpreter), but it's quite possible the copy didn't work (I only have old floppies to hand), so I'll give it another go.

I take onboard what you've said about altering the device numbers, and if making another copy onto a different floppy doesn't work then I'll try that too. Other than for the duration of the copying itself, I have been trying to run the game on device 8. I'll see what happens!

Thanks again for your help, really appreciate that.

Keep up the great work,
Rob
robsoft
Tadpole

Postby 8bit_era » Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:57

Hi Rob,

yes it's me :D

Please let me know in case you still run into trouble. I could ask the people that created real floppies from the images what copy program they used. The disk is definitely not protected.

I have to thank YOU for playing Hibernated! That is what it's all about :)

Best,
Stefan
8bit_era
POND game dev

Postby robsoft » Wed Jul 25, 2018 7:16

Hi Stefan!

I did the same thing as I did before, but using another floppy... and it worked fine this time! The game is working just fine from a real floppy now.

These old floppies seem to be 'formatting' ok but I guess some of them are feeling their age!

I'll have a go at making a Spectrum +3 disk this weekend - I've got a system rigged up with an old PC to let me copy/backup +3 disks (and this time, I have a small batch of reused old ones that definitely read/write ok!)

Thanks again for your help, keep up the great work!

Cheers
Rob
robsoft
Tadpole

Postby 8bit_era » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:03

Fantastic news! Yes, you can never trust a floppy disk from the 80s. It's a wonder they still work anyway :)

Upon request I released a special Spectrum +3 disk version just a few days ago. If you go to the page on itch.io and download the Spectrum archive, you'll find inside a TAP file and a .DSK image. I know that the latter was transferred to a real +3 disk (working), so it very likely will be fine for you, too!

Best,
Stefan
8bit_era
POND game dev

Return to C64